Many universities seek to become greener campus by promoting the “reduce, reuse and recycle” campaign. This is certainly an important thing to do, but students should also contribute by doing the right things. Here are things they can do while studying in the college:
- Recycle everything: Students should recycle everything, especially paper. In reality, the amount of paper they need to use each semester can be rather ridiculous. Between graphs, term papers, scrap copies, class notes and student newspapers, they also need paper for many other random things. We know that it is impossible to avoid using a large amount of paper during our study, but we could recycle paper to help create a greener campus. It is important to go to recycle bins every day, so we could recycle paper and other things.
- Use printers sparingly: In some cases, it is possible to print on both sides of the paper. This should help us to save on paper. This is acceptable when we need to print something from the Internet that provides us references for our tasks. If it is not for the term paper or other more essential requirements, we could use the low quality settings and high-speed printing to save ink. Even at the lowest quality, text is still perfectly readable. Also, we could use the digital version of the book or document whenever possible, instead of printing it.
- Don’t use disposable plates and cups: When we are in a dorm, we are often tempted to use disposable plates and cups, because it feels impractical to wash dishes. However, we could do the right thing for the environment, by buying cheap cups and plates. We can wash it by hand when we have the chance during the day.
- Use efficient fluorescent light bulbs: This should be a good idea for students who pay for their own bills in the dorm. Compact fluorescent light bulbs can be somewhat more expensive, but we should be able to reduce our energy intake. They can last longer and ultimately, we will be able to save money. Fluorescent lights are also more pleasant for study sessions than overhead dorm lighting. They are also more environmentally-friendly.
- Walk and ride a bike: Many campuses provide infrastructure for students to walk and ride a bike more. Some of them have decent public transport, so we should use it. Green universities should be pedestrian friendly and it should be quite pleasant to walk in them.
- Buy green: We should try to buy recycled goods whenever possible. Paper and containers can be purchased as recycled products, although they can be somewhat more expensive than standard ones.
- Use refillable binders: Instead of notebooks, we should use refillable binders. It means that we can use the binder for upcoming semesters and choose recycled paper for refills. It is also a good idea to use our tablets or laptops to take notes while we are at class.