Rep. Margaret O’Brien
Rep. Margaret O'Brien is running for re-election in the 61st House District, which she has served since 2011. She is currently the Assistant Speaker Pro Tempore and a member of the House Education Committee. Rep. O'Brien has distinguished herself as a leader on education reform by sponsoring legislation that ended seniority based teacher layoffs in Michigan. A true champion for children, Rep. O'Brien will continue to advocate for real reform, until every student in Michigan receives a quality
- HB 4625, amends the tenure act so great teachers are protected and creates a meaningful evaluation system that gives educators important feedback based on classroom observations and students outcomes.
- HB 4626, improves tenure by ensuring good teachers are protected under the tenure act and provides important due process rights for all educators.
- HB 4627, which helps to ensure every child in Michigan has access to a high quality teacher by requiring that layoffs be based on educator effectiveness and their impact on students, rather than arbitrary factors.
- HB 4628, takes the politics out of personnel decisions, by requiring district to implement, fair and transparent personnel policies, while also ensuring teachers have due process protections.
- SB 618, Supported creating quality schools options, to ensure every child in Michigan has access to a great school regardless of where they live.