Rep. Ken Yonker
Rep. Ken Yonker is running for re-election in the 72nd House District, which he has served since 2011. As a local school board member before serving in the State House, Ken worked closely with educators to build a great school system. Rep. Yonker serves on the House education committee, and sponsored important legislation to provide school districts flexibility in developing key personnel decision, while hold them accountable for student outcomes. He will continue to stand up for the best interest of students by voting for measures that will continue to help improve the quality of education in Michigan.
- HB 4625, amends the tenure act so great teachers are protected and creates a meaningful evaluation system that gives educators important feedback based on classroom observations and students outcomes.
- HB 4626, improves tenure by ensuring good teachers are protected under the tenure act and provides important due process rights for all educators.
- HB 4627, which helps to ensure every child in Michigan has access to a high quality teacher by requiring that layoffs be based on educator effectiveness and their impact on students, rather than arbitrary factors.
- HB 4628, takes the politics out of personnel decisions, by requiring district to implement, fair and transparent personnel policies, while also ensuring teachers have due process protections.
- SB 618, Supported creating quality schools options, to ensure every child in Michigan has access to a great school regardless of where they live.