Rep. John Walsh
Rep. John Walsh is the current Speaker Pro Tempore of the Michigan House of Representatives and is running for re-election in the 19th House District, which he has served since 2009. Rep. Walsh is a graduate of Wayne State Law, and has been an executive at Schoolcraft College. As Speaker Pro Tempore, Rep. Walsh oversaw the passage of major education reform legislation in the House, including the elimination of caps on charter schools. Not only has Rep. John Walsh cast key votes in support of common sense reforms, but he has also been an advocate for change.
- HB 4625, amends the tenure act so great teachers are protected and creates a meaningful evaluation system that gives educators important feedback based on classroom observations and students outcomes.
- HB 4626, improves tenure by ensuring good teachers are protected under the tenure act and provides important due process rights for all educators.
- HB 4627, which helps to ensure every child in Michigan has access to a high quality teacher by requiring that layoffs be based on educator effectiveness and their impact on students, rather than arbitrary factors.
- HB 4628, takes the politics out of personnel decisions, by requiring district to implement, fair and transparent personnel policies, while also ensuring teachers have due process protections.
- SB 618, Supported creating quality schools options, to ensure every child in Michigan has access to a great school regardless of where they live.