Rep. Jim Stamas
Rep. Jim Stamas is the current Majority Leader of the Michigan House of Representatives and is running for re-election in the 98th House District, which he has served since 2009. Rep. Stamas is a small business owner, and graduate of Northwood University. As Majority Leader, Rep. Stamas has moved many key education reforms through the House, including measures to eliminate seniority-based layoffs of teachers.
- HB 4625, amends the tenure act so great teachers are protected and creates a meaningful evaluation system that gives educators important feedback based on classroom observations and students outcomes.
- HB 4626, improves tenure by ensuring good teachers are protected under the tenure act and provides important due process rights for all educators.
- HB 4627, which helps to ensure every child in Michigan has access to a high quality teacher by requiring that layoffs be based on educator effectiveness and their impact on students, rather than arbitrary factors.
- HB 4628, takes the politics out of personnel decisions, by requiring district to implement, fair and transparent personnel policies, while also ensuring teachers have due process protections.
- SB 618, Supported creating quality schools options, to ensure every child in Michigan has access to a great school regardless of where they live.