One thing that we often observe is that students don’t know how to study effectively. They start to get affected by headaches, moments before the exam begins. We often hear that school is boring and too challenging for their intellectual capacity. However, there are some study techniques that can be used as a guide to help us to prepare feverishly. Here are techniques that they should use:
- What technique: It can be used to help students properly determine the core lessons that are delivered related to specific subject. After listening to lectures, students should ascertain about the “what”, so they can pinpoint and identify essential components of the lesson. This should help students to remember more about the definitions and equations used. This basically helps students reproduce everything taught in the class.
- Why technique: Many students don’t enjoy all the subjects taught, because they don’t know “why” they are necessary. The “why technique” should give us a rational reason why a subject is taught in the first place. With a strong rationale, students can become much more determined to study all necessary things and then pass the exams. As an example, students could be taught to understand a set of equations, but they should know why these equations are necessary. This will cause them to stay undaunted while studying the subject, because they see a reason to study it properly. In this case, it will help them to know that the exam has become much easier.
- Where technique: This technique should help students to find out where the subject should be applied or where it will work. The failure to identify where these subjects can be applied could be catastrophic during an exam. There are so many students who have studied so hard, but they fail to discover where these subjects should be applied. At least, by knowing where to apply specific facts and equations, students could use them properly in the correct questions and problems. This will ensure higher grades in the end.
- How technique: This technique should be related to how the subjects should be used or implemented. Here, procedures, methodologies and formulas may come into play. This could be the core of any learning session. It is no use memorizing equations and formulas, if we don’t know how to use them. Memorizing things won’t help much, if we don’t know how to apply them. In fact, it is important to learn how to use facts or equations first, because by the time we understand them, we already memorize them!
- When Technique: It is obvious that we should know about the exact time when a subject should be applied. Students will know about the right time when they should use the facts and equations. During the exam, they will know about the proper moment when specific things should be used. It is pitiful to see how students go blank, when it is the time they implement things that they have learned.